Jan 10, 2010

Scruples + Starbucks

In the days where values and norms are constantly changing (and people opt to walk the fine line vs make a definitive choice - don't get me wrong, I'm the first to admit my faults, I've been guilty of this as well), it's not surprising [but nevertheless very sad] to be caught off guard by a moment of sheer honesty and integrity.

My wallet was found.  Actually, it was returned.  I received an email from Sandy titled, "YOU ARE NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS.."  My first instinct was, "holy crap, a woman has come forward.."  It was actually a bit of a relief [strangely] to find this wasn't the case.  Sandy had gone into Starbucks to quench her Chai Frapp craving [the same craving we both had, and satisfied, on my last day in Cebu].  When Sandy finished her order, the lady behind the counter told her to "wait" because she had something to show her.  She went upstairs and came back down presenting Sandy with my driver's license and asked if Sandy was the one who was with me the day we stopped in.  Wondering why she had that and nothing else [as it was safely tucked away in my little metal box], Sandy asked, "Where did you get that?"  The lady pulled my metal box from her pocket and said, "It was in here.. she forgot it here." 

It appears all was left safe and sound [including ALL the money I had just exchanged into Pesos] in my little metal box/wallet, just as I had left it, and is en route back to me as I type.  Simply amazing.. One more time folks, "this culture is so beautiful!!"  My hat tips to you, Sun Valley Starbucks.

I feel compelled to address my blame-placing on the construction workers - how very American of me - and I feel terrible.  I considered calling Starbucks that day to ask, but I never did.  All this would have been quickly and easily squelched had I just made that phone call.  It's always easier to place blame on someone/thing else, so we don't have to take ownership of and responsibility for our choices and decisions.  What a way to live, eh?  Let this serve as yet another lesson for me to remember to take the time to do the research and explore all possibilities, never judge a book by its cover, and always give people the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment