Dec 30, 2009

Farewell.. for now

Day 14 :: 12.11.09 [Fri]

Waking up this morning felt surreal.  The cell phone Sandy let me borrow for the duration of my visit ran out of battery power, so I didn't know what time it was.. but part of me wished time would just stop anyway, so I could stay for just a little bit longer and not worry about my reality waiting for me back home.  I was worried I slept in too late and missed seeing the children off to school for the last time.  What a relief to see my internal alarm clock still very much enabled.

Today, a missionary group from Norway visited the Children of Hope School to put on a puppet show performance for the kids.  The kids loved it!  I was worried they might feel a bit insecure after having put on their own puppet show, but I should have known better.  They were rolling with laughter and enjoying the show with their radiant spirits - even the older guys, who really enjoyed it when the rapping/rocker puppet made his appearances.

 
little John-John completely captivated by the show


 The guests of honor were running a little late, so we occupied our time by singing Christmas carols [this being one of them, led by GiGi (such a doll)]

I had all day to enjoy my last few hours of my long-awaited trip, but it just didn't seem long enough.  I had lunch with the gang for the last time at the same place we all met for lunch on my first day - Sunburst.  It was bittersweet, only because we all knew it would be the last time for us to share lunch for a while, but at the same time, we all did our best to enjoy and savor this moment.  I was doing so well maintaining my emotions, even after Marlys became overwhelmed with hers, and then Paul - who is usually the silent observer of the group [more so than me!] - spoke.  I suppose to finally hear his thoughts and feelings about all of this, triggered something from within.  I came into this with no expectations, but very curious what everyone else would be feeling, and how they would respond to me, and how we would [or wouldn't] interact with each other.  Everyone's actions, right away, told me it was love at 'second sight', but to hear Paul's words.. too much [in a good way].  It was a domino effect, and one by one, we all succumbed to tears.

My last vision of Rustans

I spent the rest of the early afternoon tying up loose ends in preparation for my red-eye flight.  I exchanged the rest of my cash dollars for Filipino pesos, as I recently discovered there's a mandatory tax I need to pay at the airport prior to boarding; bought a few goodies from the grocery store, Rustans; and paid a visit to Carmelita at the Office to bid my farewell and express my gratitude for everything she's done for me - a mere stranger.  I also took some time to get in those last minute photos with people I hadn't had a chance to capture on camera yet [always a good time with them!]


Maria y yo
 
Maria, Joemar y yo

My trip was unbelievably successful, in so many ways.  There was never a hitch.. until 8 hours before my flight.  I'd been so careful with my things [aka: my wallet] after hearing so many horror stories about being robbed/mugged here.  But I let my guard down for a nano-second, in the wake of adoring children vying for my attention, and suddenly, my wallet was gone [money, ID, credit card, and all].  My insides were doing somersaults, but I somehow stayed calm on the outside.  I rationalized that whoever took my wallet probably needed the money more than I did.  I wasn't overly concerned about my credit card being used because I was given such a hard time trying to use it myself, I couldn't imagine anyone else successfully making purchases with it.  I was most upset at my recently renewed ID being gone and worried my passport wouldn't suffice to get me through US customs.

I packed all my things, cleaned up my room, and showered to get ready for tonight's farewell pizza party I hosted.  Coming outside to join everyone else made it so easy to forget about this last-minute hiccup.  It is amazing how kids' energies can lift your spirit like nothing else.  The staff had set up tables outside so everyone could eat under the stars [a favorite pastime of mine when I lived here, as told by Sandy].  Each house [teen home included] prepared their variation of fruit salad and, of course, some steamed rice.  The pizzas arrived, and man, I have never seen pizzas this big before!  There's this tiny mom 'n pop pizza joint not far from the Shelter called Calda Pizza, and they are famous for their 30" pizzas.  Joel was kind enough to get them, but there was still one on the way.  It was quite a sight to see a scooter with 2 chaps and a ginormous pizza box resting on their heads, make their way down the driveway.  Not a single piece of pizza was left, and everyone was full [thank goodness!].

 Yet another awesome sign!
 
 Making rounds at each table for group shots..
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jacob & Ginda
 
I wasn't kidding about the size of these pizzas!

 
  
The two kids in wheelchairs at the forefront of this photo are Rufa Mae and John Ray

 
 
 
These boys had a bit of an eating competition going on at their table..

 After clean up, we made our way up to the school, where we watched CSC's hilarious rendition of 'Cops', starring Paul, Joel, Joemar, and a friend of CSC from out in the community.  I was told about this video for the last 2 weeks, so was excited to finally see it.  When it was done, people started to stir to get up to leave, but suddenly, there was "one more video."  Oh geez.  I don't know how I didn't put it together, but Paul surprised me with a video he had been working on these last couple weeks for me.  I was completely ill-prepared, but Marlys was right there to hand me tissue.  His video is now in my top 10 favorite gifts ever received.  So very cool.  Also given to me, on behalf of my CSC family, was a beautiful Bible [pages edged in gold 'n all] that is no longer in print.  Half of each page is written in Cebuano [my first, and sadly lost, language], and the other half is written in English.  I was, once again, moved by their gesture and thoughtfulness.

Paul's video is presented..

..here they come..

There go the flood gates..again.

There are three very moved women here.

 Presenting my parting gifts..
 


CSC provides parting visitors with a farewell song, making the departure process that much more difficult, but nonetheless memorable.  There were many tearful goodbyes and hugs that lingered, as no one wanted to be the one to let go.  It crushed me to think I may never see some of these children again [I can't imagine what it must be like to work here and live that day in and day out.. the CSC staff harbor a strength few possess - truly remarkable].




 Me getting them singing their farewell song to me on video
 
 
Doing my best to contain the waterworks as I try to express my gratitude for being welcomed into their wonderful family so willingly and warmly..

..Sandy's parting prayer didn't help. : )


'the swarm' [which was very well-received]

 
Group hugs are great!
 
But they nearly knocked me backwards in my seat with their force as they rushed me! lol!
 
 
Little Rafael - such a cutie pie.. [another one of the 9 sibling group] 
 
Adelaine.. such an inquisitive girl
 
Sweet Ardian.. so well-mannered and polite! (at least to me)

 Dear Jeffrey [one of the 9sibling group]
 
Sweet [but feisty] Charrito.. called me out for not remembering her name! : )

 More group hugs!

 
Auntie Perry (she was one of my Auntie's 30 years ago!)

 
 Roselyn.. we bonded over sharing the same month for our birthdays

 
 Maria telling me 'it will be ok', with an encouraging pat on my shoulder


 Teen Home 'Mom', Auntie Editha


Giving my new friend, Jenny, a hug good-bye

Once all the children and staff left, it was just 'the gang' left at the school.  More time to savor the last few minutes before parting ways for good, and last-minute story telling/sharing and reminiscing.



 L-->R : Paul, Sandy, moi, Marlys, Mitch, Ruth


 Red, puffy eyes.. yeah!

 
 Paul re-telling "the Noise" story so I can record it on video


More hugs!
 
 Ruth was also one of my Aunties 30 years ago..


 Teacher Michelle.. such a great spirit and dedicated to the children

 
 Teacher Tammy.. soft-spoken but very strong - and also very dedicated to the children

 
Teacher Tammy still can't believe she met one of the kids from the logo

Sandy and Marlys drove me to the airport.  We arrived a solid 2.5hrs before my flight was scheduled to take off, in case of any issues checking in.  But checking in took all of 5 minutes!  It was unbelievable!  So we had more time to sit in the car to chat before I really had to go.  Saying those last goodbyes with them was really, really difficult.  I could feel myself getting choked up, but did very well holding it together.  I couldn't look back once I started walking away, because I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain my composure if I did.

Another set of deep inhales/exhales..

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous01:19

    ah.....we wondered why you didn't look back. We watched you for as long as we could see you...we love you dear Arlie!

    ReplyDelete