Second to last day, and I'm definitely feeling sad. I am going to genuinely miss everyone [from all the house staff, to the kids, the guards, the drivers, and last (but certainly not least) Sandy, Marlys, Ruth, Paul, Mitch, Michelle, Tammy, Joel, Jenny, and Andrew]. It is really going to be hard for me to say goodbye to this place and all these wonderful people who have become an extension to my family. There was definitely little time to yield to those feelings though, as today was the long-anticipated annual Rummage Sale!
Every year, CSC hosts a rummage sale where they sell old [but still usable] toys, clothes, linen, furniture, etc-etc to the workers at an unbelievably cheap price. Everyone looks forward to the rummage sale. It's like CSC's version of Black Friday, and there was indeed manic mayhem as everyone scattered around trying to shove as much stuff in their plastic bags for $5 pesos. The heat was almost unbearable. Everyone was pretty sure it was one of the hottest days yet. I was utterly uncomfortable and gross while sitting in the shade! I couldn't imagine how the rummagers were handling being out in the sun while running around to look at everything.
It took us quite some time in the morning to get everything ready, and only minutes before everything was sifted through and claimed. Afterward, there was no other option but to shower and nap before a fun evening of yet another birthday celebration. And boy, did I nap well this afternoon.
I woke up not surprisingly refreshed and completely rejuvenated, which was a good thing, b'c the children were all energized as they were getting ready to celebrate Paula's birthday. I headed over to the 'Cheicher' house to personally wish Paula a happy birthday. The smile on her face said it all. She strutted around so happily and proudly, dressed in red [a tradition Filipinos adopted from Chinese culture]. All the other kids were genuinely exited for her as well.. still in awe with how these children treat each other - one of the most stable, if not the most stable, well-rounded and healthy familial relationships from a highly unorthodox familial setting. I'm a broken record, but it is beautiful.
Paula, the birthday girl!
Paula & GiGi
Lots of fun playing with the kids.. soaking up every morsel of laughter, hugs, and love. Dinner was [as usual] fantastically delicious! They made Maja Blanca, which is like a rice pudding/cake dessert I actually went back for seconds [..and thirds.. and fourths..]! They saw I liked it so much, they eventually gave me their recipe - very much looking forward to hosting that dinner party soon!
Dinner quickly wound down as many of the kids had to head over to the school to practice for their holiday show they will be putting on next week. I was about to walk over to watch them, since I'll miss the show, but was reminded of an appointment I had.. with a masseuse : ).
After such a hard and laborious day, in insane heat, from the rummage sale, it was great to end the day with a 90minute massage. Marlys, Ruth, and I went to their favorite spa, Meddah Spa. Tucked away in a glitzier strip mall than what I've been introduced to thus far, this small piece of heaven was just what the doctor ordered. If only every day could end in such bliss.
No comments:
Post a Comment