Dec 1, 2009

Cebu City bound [11.26.09]

3.5hrs of sleep and it was time to get ready for Super Shuttle's arrival.  Apparently, no one flies on Thanksgiving.  Not only was the shuttle on time, if not slightly early, but we made it to SFO in record time!  The highway was eerily calm, and lacked the chaos that ensues when CA drivers get behind the wheel.  I had 3 hours to kill before boarding.  What to do, what to do..  Sleep.

Boarding the plane was as organized as the Bay Bridge's "S Curve" during rush hour, but once settled into my window seat, I was ready.  Added bonus that the seat next to me remained unoccupied for the duration of the flight.  The flight attendants were adorable - adorned in powder blue or white chopstix in their hair.




12+hrs, 2 meals, a handful of naps, a few rounds of Minesweeper/solitaire/memory, the creation of "My Playlist" music set, and 5 movies later, we hit the tarmac.  South Korea is COLD this time of year.  It was about 30degrees [or so the captain reported].  I had to go through another set of metal detectors as I 'transferred' to my connecting flight [fyi: the arrival and departure gates are completely separate from e'o - completely separate floors all together].  2hr layover and it was time to board again.  12+hrs down.. 4 more to go.  Somehow, I again lucked out and found myself completely alone in a 3-seat row.  Sadly, someone eventually came and occupied the aisle seat [AND hogged the middle seat with one of his carry-ons!  I may have pushed his stuff closer toward him with my feet, so that I could rest them on my half of the seat as well - keep in mind, I've been traveling for 14+hrs by this time].


That last hour seemed to drag on forever.  I barely made it through 'Quarentine Inspection' [huh?], as well as the passport check point.  Customs was a breeze [thanks to light packing].  The gentleman inspecting my stuff looked at my backpack, satchel, and saddlebag, then looked at me and said, "Is this it?"  I nodded in affirmation, which apparently didn't satisfy him b'c he asked again.



Walking outside toward the crowd of anxious family members/friends/drivers was intense.  I had to force myself to look up and look around for Sandy and Marlys [two of the child care workers who cared for me at the orphanage].  I immediately made eye contact with the two tallest white women amongst these short brown people and smiled.  They looked at each other and smiled and walked out toward me.  It is the strangest feeling to meet someone you've never met before [or so you can't recall], and yet feel like you've known him/her forever.  We finally found ourselves at CSC [Children Shelter of Cebu] around 1:30am.  And boy was I ready for bed [but up and awake by 6am the following morning.. soy vey!]

No comments:

Post a Comment