Dec 13, 2009

Serenades + Island escapes

Day 9 :: 12.6.09 [Sun]

Let's get it out of the way.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

I crossed my third decade threshold today and am honestly happy/excited about it.  While most dread this birthday [and all other birthdays thereafter for some reason], I welcomed it with wide open arms.  30 is an age I've been anxious to turn since my 23rd birthday [approximately].  Everyone seems to think it's all down hill from here, but I see nothing but up.  I remember my parents in their 30s and can only recall how wise, strong, dedicated, and fearless they were [and continue to be].  Great things will happen in my 30s.. I can feel it.  Actually, I know it.  It's already off to a pretty incredible start.

I had to get up pretty early in order to be ready for a 7:20a pick up from Mitch, as he planned a boating trip for a group of us, so I could submerge myself in Cebu's wonderfully salty & sun-kissed sea.  I was just about to open my blinds, as is my routine right before I head upstairs in the morning, when I saw all these little faces in the cracks between the slats of my window.  It startled me.  I couldn't imagine what on earth these faces could be doing right outside my window at 6:30 in the morning.  I then fully opened them and was met with the most fantastic happy birthday serenade by a large handful of CSC kids and staff, and led by Marlys.  I only wish I could have recorded it on video because it was so precious and wonderful.  Sweet Marlys could barely utter the words to the songs sung b'c she was so emotional [tears of joy].  I was in disbelief that I was actually being serenaded - I felt like I was in a movie. Marlys says it's typical for Filipinos to do such a thing at 4 in the morning!?

I went upstairs and a slew of "Happy birthday Auntie Arlie's" were being yelled and arms were being thrown around me in excited hugs.  It was great!  Marlys brought her favorite fruit for me to try, called Chicos.  It had already been peeled from the thick brown skin and the slices were placed on a plate.  The minute I bit into a slice, I immediately recognized it and was experiencing one of those moments when you're brought back to a place from your distant past [oh, the power of our senses].  I could remember, as a child, my dad bringing home kiwi fruits.  I always thought I'd enjoy it whenever I tried it, but for whatever reason, expected it to taste a certain way [I never could explain why] and when it didn't, I'd be so disappointed.  Tasting the Chico fruit and seeing what it looked like with the skin still on, answered my question with regard to the kiwi.  The Chico fruit was the taste I was always expecting/hoping when eating a kiwi, but never tasted.  It has the texture to that of a really ripe pear [gritty..] and a mild sweetness.  It was nostalgically delicious.

 

I still hadn't tried the Tambis fruit from the branch Edwin got for me by climbing the Tambis fruit tree at the Teen Home/Office the other day.  So Marlys went and brought them to continue my taste testing.  It didn't look familiar, nor did it smell like anything.  But biting into it, again, a flurry of unexplainable nostalgia overwhelmed my taste buds and my thoughts brought me to the Philippines [despite my body already being there].  There is a nice crisp crunch when you bite into its white flesh, but it's not overly juicy nor sweet.  But it has a distinct aftertaste and a slight tartness and bitterness to it.  It's like nothing I've ever tasted in the states, but yet so familiar.  I love when that happens!  Both Sandy and Marlys describe it as biting into a piece of styrofoam, but it's so much more!

 
 

Since it was Sunday, the kids all went to church at 7:00a per usual.  I was able to see them off this time however.  They were all packed in their CSC jeepney so I took a picture.  The House Father, Patrick, saw this and, being the playful, goofy, and life-loving person that he is, thought having his personality captured in a Kodak moment apropos.

 
 
House Parents: Uncle Patrick & Auntie Lourdes [w/Analisa and crew in tow]

Mitch arrived right on time.  We met everyone else at the Teen Home, packed everyone/thing into either a CSC jeepney or Mitch's van, and started driving.  I was slightly confused when Mitch parked the van at what seemed like a makeshift camp-site in a secure park area.  But was relieved to see nothing but ocean and islands across the horizon once we walked a bit to where the beach and our boat awaited.  Tammy and Michelle suggested we make a trip to the CR.. have I explained what the CR is yet?  It stands for "Comfort Room," best translated as America's "bathroom."  One would reasonably conclude that comfort room would provide just that.  Wrong.  Most comfort rooms I've been in thus far are smaller than your average bathroom stall, toilet paper-less, and seat less.  Gross.  I guess Filipinos don't mind squatting every time they use the facility and carrying around spare toilet paper in the event that they can't hold it until they get home [which turned out to be my preference].  Anyway, they suggested a visit to the CR because the only bathroom on the boat was a hole in the floor near the rear of the boat, and 4 walls surrounding it that only stand as high as your shoulders [hmm, no thank you].  We met up with everyone else and started walking out into the sea.  We were up to about our knees before we reached the boat and then had to walk up this narrow plank to get onto the boat.  It was a little scary.  Once on, we made our way to the first stop, the Marina Sanctuary.  The tide was really low, and so the fish were everywhere!  What an amazing experience to swim among all the fish [and there were swarms of them!].  We spent a good few hours here, taking turns with the snorkeling gear Mitch brought.  I spent a nice chunk of time working on my tan [ultimately, I burned for the first time ever, despite a generous application of 45spf sunscreen].  Toward the end, Mitch brought some bread out with him and the fish were coming right up to his face to eat - they were literally eating out the palm of his hand!  We could hear him screaming with excitement & thrill through his snorkeling gear 100 yards away.







 


 
Some kids from the Teen Home

 
Mitch and Ruth

 
The Captain [who was asleep for most of the day]

 
 
Julieto's pretty excited!

 
Getting ready for my first dip in Philippine sea
 
 
SO MANY FISH!

L --> R: me, Tammy, Michelle
 
Pirates!!  Just kidding.
Believe it or not, the lighter the skin of a Filipino, the better.  I saw MANY Filipinos covered like this in order to keep from getting tan [and in this heat!!??]

 
 
 
 
Bigger than Joel's head!

 

We then moved on to the next stop.  It was pretty shallow and allowed for more snorkeling and touching/picking up the shells and other aquatic life.  We saw some pretty amazing things up close and personal.  I was starting to feel small stinging sensations throughout my body and decided that was enough water time for me.  Ruth, thankfully, brought a bottle of vinegar in the event that anyone got stung by jellyfish.  Takes the stinging away almost immediately!  She said there are really tiny jellyfish, practically naked to the eye, that tend to zap people.




 

After a solid 6+hrs of island hopping/snorkeling/sun bathing/shell collecting we headed back to the mainland and headed home.  I was being taken out to dinner for my birthday by everyone.  It was D-licious!  They even knew my love for all-you-can-eat buffets!  It was at Park Lane.  I had goat for the first time, which is surprisingly tender and good!  I also tried chicken feet [also called 'adidas' - first and last time for that one, I must say].  I also had authentic Halo-Halo w/ Ube ice cream, which Ruth helped me figure out how to make [everything but the kitchen sink goes into that bowl]!  The food is all so delicious!  Jenny [Marlys and Paul's daughter] made me a card that totally made me cry [and I was doing SO well].  She is a beautiful and funny young woman, and I'm excited to be able to call her my friend now.

I came home to find these gorgeous flowers in my room! ["From: CSC Family"]

Our table at Park Lane [the buffet goodies are in the background - quite a dazzling display]

Michelle, Tammy, and me in all our sun-kissed glory

I nearly choked on my ube Halo-Halo when everyone [including the wait staff] suddenly broke out in Birthday Song and presented me with this adorable little cake.
 
 
Excited for my 'adidas'!

"hmm.. that's an interesting texture"

"..and even more interesting flavor" ((not))

And now I can say I've eaten chicken feet [aka: adidas]!

Gettin' me some Halo-Halo education from Ruth

me: "What's that?".. "And what are those?".. "What about that over there?"
Ruth: "just put a little scoop of everything in the bowl.. including corn flakes" (??)

When in Rome..



LOVE the 'purple stuff'!! [aka: ube aka: taro root]

It was quite tasty, folks.  Not too sweet, just the way I like it.
(a little bit of beans, a little bit of tapioca balls, a little bit of candied ginger, a little bit of corn flakes, a scoop of ube ice cream, a splash of milk, a sprinkling of fresh coconut, and a packet of sugar [which remained unopened].)

Reading Jenny's homemade card [right before my tear ducts went into overdrive]

Presents??



Marlys framed this picture of me in my crib so I could take it back to the States with me [this was one of the pictures that adorned my room]

The frame is made out of abalone shells from the Philippines

Sandy had a bag of all kinds of Filipino goodies to take back with me!




The Crew in the lobby of Park Lane

Marlys, Paul, Sandy, and me.. reunited, celebrating my 30th birthday.
I couldn't ask for a better gift than this.

I still can't believe the generosity and kindness I've been given by everyone here since day one.  I was excited to give myself this trip to the Philippines for my 30th birthday, but was a little sad I wasn't celebrating such a milestonic year with my family and friends back home.  Whether intentional or not, everyone's efforts here made this an unbelievably memorable birthday, and I still don't know how to thank them for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment